3 day a week half marathon training
3 day a week half marathon training: When thinking about signing yourself up for a half marathon, you might be feeling slightly dazed and confused. This is because this is the first time you are involving yourself in something like this. While you most definitely want to emerge victorious, you would not like to do that at the expense of your health.
It is for this reason that we bring forth for you a 3 day a week half marathon training. While training for a half marathon is considered to be tough in itself, the best part is that you would only have to train three days a week. However, even though you would be getting rest time on the other days, that does not in any way mean that you would be sabotaging all your hard work. You would still be required to be mindful about the activities that you are engaging in and the food items you are putting in your mouth.
Eight principles of 3 day a week half marathon training
Just like any other training program, this one is also not any different. The only significant difference that seems to exist is that you would have to run three days a week. In order to do that, you would have to abide my eight important principles. These are as follows:
- Thanks to the way it has been designed, you would be able to easily follow it without encountering a lot of hassle. In addition, as a result of the low miles that you are required to cover, you would not have to entertain the risk of sprains and burnouts.
- Since you would just be running three days a week, the speed, tempo, and distance have a specific purpose to fulfil. In the 3 day a week half marathon training, the tempo would be increasing your lactate threshold, the speed work would be making you faster, and the long run would help in increasing your endurance.
- You would be required to run a variety of speed work be it 400, 800, and 1600-meter repeats – you would have to do them all. Therefore, to keep yourself motivated and on the right track, make sure you tag along a fast friend.
- In the 3 day a week half marathon training, you would be doing your tempo run at a faster pace than the normal running ones.
- You would gradually be building up your speed and endurance to 12 miles, not the 20 miles as has been required by the marathon. This is because you would be covering the 12 miles at a faster pace than normal.
- In this training program, you would also be required to cross-train twice a week. Even though you would start off easy, the intensity would increase as you become fitter.
- If you find yourself to be busy or suffering from pain, then you would not be required to train. This is because this running program builds up your mindset in a way that you would train when you find the time.
- You will also be tapering for two weeks. This means that you would be completely ready and injury-free for the main marathon.
So, by keeping these eight principles in mind, you would find that the 3 day a week half marathon training program is indeed the most suitable one for you.